Thursday, June 5, 2008

Music from the Milwaukee auditions & then some


I couldn’t find songs for some of the dancers. I know, what kind of impression am I making if I can’t even find the music I promised to deliver? Auditions were much more difficult than expected. If you know of any of the songs I missed, particularly Rebecca Hart’s, let me know. I am definitely open to your help.

First up…

Song title: Fuego
Artist/Band: Pitbull
Where you heard it on the show: Montage of Uncle Nigel krumping and hippin’ to the hop.
Where you've heard it before: Season 3. Top 6. Lauren and Pasha’s Transformer routine.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

Fuego - Pitbull Feat. Don Omar


Song title: 2 Steps Away
Artist/Band: Patti Labelle
Where you heard it on the show: Katee Shean’s audition solo
Where you've heard it before: I've never heard this Patti song before, but some people may be familiar with it.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

2 STEPS AWAY - PATTI LABELLE

What else you might like: To be perfectly honest, it sounded like Fantasia at first, so if you’re looking for that sort of sound, check out her albums.

MORE AFTER THE JUMP

Song title: MyPhilosophy
Artist/Band: Inner
Where you heard it on the show: Natalie Reid’s audition solo
Where you've heard it before: I’ve never heard it anywhere before, but I did like it.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

Myphilosophy - Inner

What else you might like: Check out Furslide. Same lead vocalist.


Song title: Boogie Wonderland
Artist/Band: Earth, Wind, & Fire
Where you heard it on the show: Bianca Revels tap solo
Where you've heard it before: Brittany Murphy sang it on the Happy Feet soundtrack. It was her character’s heartsong. Savion Glover was the tapper behind Mumble, the main character from that movie.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

Boogie Wonderland - Earth Wind And Fire

What else you might like: Donna Summer. Bad Girls.


Song title: Simply Irresistible
Artist/Band: Robert Palmer
Where you heard it on the show: James Davis and the affirmation from his last dance teacher that she would see him on tv.
Where you've heard it before: I’m sure most of you have heard this song. Some may not know that it’s from Contact, the broadway musical that was heavy on the choreography. If you’ve seen it you might remember the Girl in the Yellow Dress. I’m a Broadway nerd.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

simply irresistible - robert palmer


Song title: After the Lights Go Down Low
Artist/Band: Al Hibbler
Where you heard it on the show: Evan Kasprzak and his channeling of Gene Kelly
Where you've heard it before: I'm not sure anyone really listens to music from this era anymore. Besides Evan of course.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

After The Lights Go Down Low - Al Hibbler


Song title: parameters
Artist/Band: Ani Difranco
Where you heard it on the show: Kourtni Lind - the Uma Thurman look-a-like.
Where you've heard it before: Another song that hasn’t had much play anywhere.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

Parameters - Ani DiFranco

What else you might like: Listen to the rest of Ani Difranco’s albums. If you like the spoken word thing, try her song Fuel. If you’re looking for something with a little more melody, try Melissa Etheridge.


Song title: Radar
Artist/Band: Britney Spears
Where you heard it on the show: Tom Kozal and his earless goats.
Where you've heard it before: In your room when you’re dancing in your underwear. Or when you’re waiting to give water to your earless goats.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

Radar - Britney Spears


Song title: Aguanile
Artist/Band: Hector Lavoe
Where you heard it on the show: Susie Garcia – the “teacher”…with pink extensions.
Where you've heard it before: If you’ve seen Marc Anthony’s portrayal of Hector Lavoe in the film El Cantante, you may recognize this song from there.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

Aguanile - Hector Lavoe/Willie Colón


Song title: Red Light
Artist/Band: Usher
Where you heard it on the show: Brice Cassimiri
Where you've heard it before: It’s an extra song from Confessions. It got some airplay around the time of My Boo.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

Red Light - Usher


Song title: In Your Eyes
Artist/Band: Craig Lyons (many thanks to Ms Anonymous’s comment and Ted for pointing it out to me), I googled the lyrics until my fingers were tired.
Where you heard it on the show: Cooper Zamorano’s audition solo
Where you've heard it before: I’m not familiar with this song either. Some music contributor I am.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



What else you might like: When I originally couldn’t find this song, Ted mentioned that they sounded like Lighthouse Family. Try out their album Postcard from Heaven. I’d never heard of them and ended up really liking their sound.


Song title: Promise
Artist/Band: Ciara
Where you heard it on the show: Raymond Love's audition
Where you've heard it before: It debuted in 2006 and was on the Billboard Hot 100.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

Promise - Ciara


Song title: It’s Raining Men
Artist/Band: The Weather Girls
Where you heard it on the show: Danielle Chorizo, I mean…Travis Wall.
Where you've heard it before: It’s played a lot. An anthem for all the singles. Geri Halliwell covered it and that version appeared on the Bridget Jones’ Diary soundtrack.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




So there's my first post. Let me know what you liked, what you didn't. I didn't include a lot of what I thought you might also like because those artists seems like they're fairly popular and the music that is similar is pretty accessible. If I'm completely off on this and you'd like to see those suggestions included, please let me know!

blog comments powered by Disqus