Friday, February 1, 2008

SYTYCD News Roundup

Go now. Here's one I can't recommend highly enough to TV dance watchers. Our friend Tonya Plank has begun writing a column for ExploreDance.com. Congratulations Tonya! In her first column she reviews the current and upcoming crop of TV dance offerings and asks "Why Are TV Dance Shows All the Rage?" There are so many insightful observations that I lost count.

LINK


American Smooth. Ballroom afficionados who watch PBS's America's Ballroom Challenge will want to get Tonya's take on the show at her blog, Swan Lake Samba Girl.

LINK


Getting his status straight? Shimmy Online Magazine recently interviewed Hok Konishi:

Shimmy: What did you do once you were eliminated from SYTYCD?

Hok: Well, nothing too much really. Did some interviews, just jumped back into reality. I did a show in England and then came back the next day to start rehearsing for the tour!! I have to say I was shocked at first though!


"Just jumped back into reality"? But Hok, SYTYCD is a REALITY show! You mean reality shows aren't reality?

LINK



The Post and Enquirer reports from the auditions in Charleston.

LINK



Geoff at Geofftech blogs about meeting Cat Deeley at the Charleston auditions:
So I got to get up close a personal with Miss Deeley. She’s still got that slightly skewed nose that I remembered. And just as I was trying to act all work-like I could hardly talk either when she identified me as being from the fellow motherland. “You’re English?” she says “Yes I am!” I reply, and it’s only later that the photographer who took my picture here told me that she did start to extend her hand to shake mine, but I seemed not to pick up on it - I’d like to think it’s because I’m a professional and was weighed down my some heavy camera equipment, and not just because I came all over bashful.


He mentions a video, but I can't seem to find it.

LINK


Flickr user Tendolab caught some shots outside the Charleston auditions.

LINK


You may be aware that Benji Schwimmer is himself extremely talented with a camera in his hands, but he recently went before the lens of photographer/blogger Daniel Brock.

LINK


The Salt Lake Tribune previews the auditions starting there next Monday.

LINK