Thursday, July 10, 2008

Natalie's Top 12 Performance Show Music Recap


I’m lacking in the recap department this week. Bare minimum stuff for the Top 12 Performance Recap. I’ll try to pick it up for tonight’s elimination show. My apologies now!

Also, I’m having a hard time reviewing songs anymore. Especially after the Matt Dorame interview. When he says that he wasn’t able to use the music he originally picked and the “music lady” let him listen to Sweet Contentment and he liked it. So he danced to it. Eh.

Also, Alex DaSilva likes to pick songs that I have to pay $20 for. Sorry. No dice.


Chelsie and Mark’s Salsa choreographed by Alex DaSilva

The song served its purpose. It gave them a good enough beat to dance to. They gave more to the routine than the song did.

Song title: Fuego
Artist/Band: Joe Bataan
Where you can listen to the whole song:

So I go to the website. It tells me that it will cost me $.10 per track. I’m in. I go to pay. That’ll be $19.90 minimum. Huh? Pass.

Comfort and Thayne’s hip hop routine choreographed by Napoleon & Tabitha

I love Ne-Yo. The beginning on the steps was sick. I like how they added in those few extra accents to the music. They did it with Katee and Joshua’s routine and Chelsie and Mark’s as well. I didn’t hate this as much as the judges did. In fact, I kinda liked it.

Song title: Can We Chill
Artist/Band: Ne-Yo
Where you can listen to the whole song:



More after the jump...

Jessica and Will’s contemporary routine choreographed by Tyce Diorio

Leee was right last week. SYTYCD is not a family show. Ha. The song allowed for a lot. Since there wasn’t much there. It allowed them to be organic as Mia likes to say. Which is, I’m sure, why she loved it. If you’ve ever seen Unfaithful, you know why this piece coming out of this song is not surprising. At all.

Song title: Silence
Artist/Band: Unfaithful (Soundtrack)
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Courtney and Gev’s Cha Cha choreographed by ANYA AND PASHA!

I was not a Gevney fan. I didn’t get it. Until this routine. Color me converted. The song is insignificant.

Song title: Don’t Stop the Music (The Wideboys Club Mix)
Artist/Band: Rihanna
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Kherington and Twitch’s Krump routine choreographed by Lil C

I’m sorry judges…what’s that? You’re giving preferential treatment to Kherington again? That’s not like you. She got tired for the last 16 eight counts and you’re just going to disregard that? That’s about right. I can’t talk about the song. Disenchanted is the best word I can use.

Song title: 2 Buck 4 TV
Artist/Band: The J-Squad
Where you can listen to the whole song:

Um…I’m not buck enough to be able to find this song. Anywhere.

Katee and Joshua’s Viennese Waltz choreographed by Jean Marc

This song already has a lot that comes along with it. City of Angels soundtrack and all. I kinda got how Joshua was supposed to be a ghost a la Nicholas Cage’s character in the movie. Eh. I kinda forget most of this one.

Song title: Iris
Artist/Band: Goo Goo Dolls
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Chelsie and Mark’s broadway routine choreographed by Tyce Diorio

The high hat in the beginning. Awesome. Set them up where they needed to be, mood-wise. Also, the judges didn’t talk about it, but Chelsie’s dress got caught in Mark’s suspenders. I like that she’s professional.

Song title: I’m a Woman
Artist/Band: Smokey Joe’s Café (Original Cast)
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Comfort and Thayne’s contemporary routine choreographed by Mandy Moore

Oh George Michael. I liked this. Softer, simpler song with really pure choreography. I think this might be when I lost all respect for Nigel. But oh wait…I almost forgot about his wonderful comment during his critique of the Bollywood routine. I definitely didn’t hate this dance as much as the judges did.

Song title: A Different Corner
Artist/Band: George Michael
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Jessica and Will’s Quickstep choreographed by Tony Meredith and Melanie LaPatin

I’m not sure how the judges want Jessica to improve when they just keep pushing her down and telling her she’s not as good as Will. Now that’s motivation! This song was good for the quickstep as far as I’m concerned.

Song title: Bandstand Boogie
Artist/Band: Barry Manilow
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Courtney and Gev’s Jazz routine choreographed by Mandy Moore

I really liked the beginning. High hat again. The music worked well with the movement. Another solid Gevney routine.

Song title: Standing There
Artist/Band: The Creatures
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Kherington and Twitch’s Tango choreographed by Jean Marc

I thought the first part of the tango with the blue lights worked really well with the music. Then the lights went up and the music picked up and it was all downhill from there. They’re no Brad and Angelina.

Song title: Assassin’s Tango
Artist/Band: Mr & Mrs. Smith (Soundtrack)
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Katee and Joshua’s Bollywood routine choreographed by Nakul Dev Mahajan

Banoodles. Katee looked like she’d been dancing this style for years. Not that I’m a Bollywood expert. I loved the music. Really strong drums. I wish we could give Nigel a muzzle.

Song title: Dhoom Taana
Artist/Band: Om Shanti Om (soundtrack)
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Top 12 Performance Playlist

SYTYCD Top 12 Performance Music

blog comments powered by Disqus