Saturday, May 31, 2008

Random Thoughts

Where I turn into a faux-Larry King column:

Brandon Bryant's audition reminded me of a young Paul Liburd.



Some Russian ballroomers really push the name envelope, at least to this American. Kozhevnikov & Zagoruychenko? Slavik Kryklyvyy? Phewwww! I'm thankful for the relatively easy Pasha Kovalev & Anya Garnis.



Step It Up & Dance gained traction through the season and really hit the sweet spot with this week's finale, part 1. I think one reason was that there were fewer dancers to track, so each got more time, as did the actual dancing. It pains me to say this because I love to see dancers working, but if I were producer, I would seriously consider starting the next season with maybe only 8 or 9 dancers. I'd change to an every-other-week elimination format similar to the recent BBC America show Last Restaurant Standing. In that show, 9 pairs of aspiring restaurateurs vied to becomes partners with legendary chef Raymond Blanc. One week all contestants would face a challenge with a bottom 3 chosen. The next week, the bottom 3 would be given a specific challenge, from which one pair would be eliminated. This would provide enough episodes for a series, and give the viewer more time to appreciate the creative process.



It's Chelsie Hightower, not Chelsea. Learn it, web recappers, because I think we'll be seeing more of her.

blog comments powered by Disqus