Thursday, July 3, 2008

Natalie's Top 14 Performance Music Recap


So this week brought on a good variety of songs. Some of the songs hurt the dancers, but for the most part it took their performances to a different level.

Also, if you’d like a full playlist at imeem.com with all the songs from this episode, follow this link. If you’d like to see this every week, let me know! I also embedded a full playlist at the bottom of this post if you’re interested in hearing all of the songs without going to the website.


Jessica and Will’s Jive choreographed by Tony Meredith and Melanie LaPatin

A lot of this seemed disjointed. The music was perfect for the choreography. They just didn’t utilize either.

Song title: Choo Choo Ch’Boogie
Artist/Band: Five Guys Name Moe (Original Broadway Cast)
Where you’ve heard the song before: The show had a brief run.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



More after the jump...
Comfort and Thayne’s Broadway routine choreographed by Andy Blankenbuehler

I’d like to see this guy come back and choreograph a routine to this song for the Top 2 guys. I think that it would be amazing. The song creates a certain mood. Most people have either seen the movie or a school production of West Side Story, so the music comes with certain expectations. First off, the costumes didn’t go with the song. Second, Comfort and Thayne looked like they were dancing two different routines. Not even the song could save them.

Song title: Cool
Artist/Band: Bernstein and Sondheim
Where you’ve heard the song before: The last time you were getting ready to have a rumble in a vacant lot.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Kourtni and Matt’s Hip Hop routine choreographed by Cicely and Olisa

This was painful to watch. All around. I wanted this to be really good. No dice. This had a really nice beat that they could have killed. Instead they danced the steps so smooth, I could barely see what they were doing or even pay attention.

Song title: How Do I Breathe
Artist/Band: Mario
Where you’ve heard the song before: Who knows but now every time you hear it again you’ll picture two very awkward people not dancing hip hop well.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Chelsie and Mark’s Jazz routine choreographed by Mandy Moore

Now there’s the Mandy Moore that I know and love. I loved the different ways Mandy represented the song’s title. It was never overdone.

Song title: Kiss Kiss
Artist/Band: Holly Valance
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s been in a bunch of shows and movies. More here. I also feel like I’ve heard the melody before. Maybe I’m making that up?
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Kherington and Twitch’s Paso Doble choreographed by Tony Meredith and Melanie LaPatin

The music was really strong in the beginning and they were struggling to keep up. Once they got started though, I think they danced well with the music. There was something false about the energy in this routine though. I wasn’t a fan.

Song title: Malaguena
Artist/Band: Brian Setzer ’68 Comeback Special
Where you’ve heard the song before: More info about the song over at Wikipedia
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Katee and Joshua’s contemporary routine choreographed by Mia Michaels

Just when I thought I couldn’t love Mia or these two anymore, I found a way. A perfect song. A bit haunting. It really set the mood and elevated the already amazing choreography and energy. I’d like to see every single routine they’ve done on the tour. Well, maybe I could go without the WCS…

Song title: Hometown Glory
Artist/Band: Adele
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s very early in Adele’s career but you may have heard this song on Grey’s Anatomy or One Tree Hill. I watch both. Naturally.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Courtney and Gev’s Hip Hop choreographed by Cicely and Olisa

This was a dud for me. All around. Song. Choreography. Energy. Personality. Ugh. Also, creepy comment #239489302 from Uncle Nigel. Oh…and at one point, I thought Courtney was Natalie from S2. Weird.

Song title: Lights, Camera, Action!
Artist/Band: Mr. Cheeks
Where you’ve heard the song before: It was popular a few years back.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Jessica and Will’s Jazz routine choreographed by Mandy Moore

You can’t go wrong with Heart. And a shirtless Will doesn’t hurt either. I think that Mandy really used the song well. Nothing in particular stuck out but I like how the choreo was soft and then strong and then soft again to match the song.

Song title: Alone
Artist/Band: Heart
Where you’ve heard the song before: Here’s another song that made the rounds on Idol first. Plus Celine covered it.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Comfort and Thayne’s Waltz choreographed by Edward Simon

This music was just the background. Very blah. I liked the choreography though.

Song title: Hov Arek Sarer Jan
Artist/Band: New Age Armenia
Where you’ve heard the song before: I’m not sure anyone has heard this song before.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Kourtni and Matt’s Mambo choreographed by Alex Da Silva

Strong music. Really strong horns. I think it could have really taken their performance up a notch if they had danced it a bit better. I didn’t hate it. But I didn’t love it either.

Song title: Ban-Con-Tim
Artist/Band: Super All-Star
Where you’ve heard the song before: No where?
Where you can listen to the whole song:

This is another song that’s not around at all. You can buy the album at Amazon.



Chelsie and Mark’s Foxtrot choreographed by Edward Simon

Oh Paul Anka. You melt my heart. Even in dog form. Perfect song for this routine. I could do without having to see that dress ever again though.

Song title: It’s My Life
Artist/Band: Paul Anka
Where you’ve heard the song before: This is a cover of Bon Jovi’s version. Which is strange. I would have thought it was the other way around.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Kherington and Twitch’s contemporary routine choreographed by Mia Michaels

I wish choreographers would use John Mayer songs more often. I wasn’t in love with anything but the music. The choreography was pretty simple, but I think Mia used the song well. The dancing was a bit manic. I guess it was supposed to be like that. I would have liked a little more fluidity and maybe angst? Something’s missing. I like referencing John Mayer whenever possible.

Song title: Dreaming With a Broken Heart
Artist/Band: John Mayer
Where you’ve heard the song before: His album Continuum. It was also on an episode of The Game. I actually saw the part of the episode with this song. Which is weird, since I would never subject myself to that show normally.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Katee and Joshua’s West Coast Swing routine choreographed by Benji Schwimmer

Meh. Not crazy about the song. It didn’t do anything to help the routine. Like a few weeks ago, I think Katee and Joshua’s energy and performance were above the music.

Song title: Shake It
Artist/Band: Brother Yusef
Where you’ve heard the song before: This is another one that I’ve never heard before.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

So apparently Fox decided to okay songs tonight that I have to pay $20 to buy. Sorry, ha. No dice. The full album is available for purchase at Amazon.


Courtney and Gev’s Broadway routine choreographed by Andy Blankenbuehler

Really high-energy song. I agree with Tabitha. I think they could have brought the energy down for the instrumental middle section. There weren’t any layers to how they danced it even though the music warranted them.

Song title: New York, New York
Artist/Band: Bernstein, Comden, and Green
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s from On The Town, a 1944 musical.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

The part that they used starts around the 2:30 mark.




blog comments powered by Disqus