Thursday, July 24, 2008

Natalie's Top 8 Performance Show Music Recap



Fox/Kelsey McNeal


Sorry that I’m so late posting this. There are no excuses. Boo on me.

Courtney and Will’s Samba choreographed by Jean Marc & France

I think that she kept up well with him in the routine. I couldn’t help but love this song. Maybe I missed some of their mistakes because I liked to song so much.

Song title: I Fell In Love With The DJ
Artist/Band: Che’ Nelle
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s been popular all over the world. It hit #98 on the Billboards in the US, but that’s about it.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




More after the jump...


Comfort’s Solo

Comfort should ask NapTab to choreograph her solo.

Song title: I Got This Down
Artist/Band: Simian Mobile Disco
Where you’ve heard the song before: I can’t find much on this song. But Simian Mobile Disco has a song on FIFA ’08, I Believe.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Katee and Twitch’s Contemporary routine choreographed by Mia Michaels

All I could think of when I heard this song was McSteamy and Callie. And then I thought about Mia and her recent break up. Then there was the tonsil hockey. I blushed a little. It was hard to concentrate on the actual dancing. The stuff I could pay attention to, I loved.

Song title: Mercy
Artist/Band: Duffy
Where you’ve heard the song before: Grey’s Anatomy. The Sex & the City Soundtrack. Oh, and it won the Song of the Year award at the MOJO Awards.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Will’s Solo

I think that I may stand alone in this, but I wasn’t a fan. I thought it was fun, but that’s about it.

Song title: Get Up Offa That Thing
Artist/Band: James Brown
Where you’ve heard the song before: This song has been all over some of our favorite shows. Benji and Heidi did a routine to this song. Gev auditioned to this song and Super Cr3w used this in one of their “Master Mixes”. It was also in Sister Act II, What a Girl Wants, Robots, and Harriet the Spy.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Comfort and Mark’s Hip Hop routine choreographed by Napoleon and Tabitha

This is the first “fast” routine that I liked from NapTab. You can’t go wrong with some Fergie Ferg and Nelly. Also, I forget who mentioned it last week, but Mark is taller than I remember.

Song title: Party People
Artist/Band: Nelly feat. Fergie (Fox got it backwards)
Where you’ve heard the song before: Another Top 40 song. So it’s all over.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Katee’s Solo

I’m a huge Katee fan, but her solo was kinda boring for me tonight. Plus, if I have to hear one more Celine song, I might go crazy. Oh, but I did love that Katee just did a no-frills leap. It took me by surprise and I didn’t hate it.

Song title: Taking Chances
Artist/Band: Celine Dion
Where you’ve heard the song before: It was written by Kara DioGuardi and David A. Stewart. Celine made it famous. Featured on DanceLife and Moonlight. And Celine performed it on The X Factor.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Chelsie and Joshua’s Argentine Tango choreographed by Dmitry

I really liked how the beginning started. Slower. Little piano mixed in. And then it built up with the lights. I also liked when Josh moved Chelsie’s feet with the music. When you think back to season 2’s caliber of Argentine Tangos, this is miles away from that. How far we’ve come.

Song title: A Los Amigos
Artist/Band: Forever Tango (Original Cast)
Where you’ve heard the song before: So I couldn’t find the Forever Tango version. In MP3 format. You can buy it on iTunes though.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Mark’s Solo

This is his first solo, I think, that he didn’t use Bohemian Rhapsody, and I really enjoyed it. He picked another off-beat song and it served his choreography well.

Song title: Creator
Artist/Band: Santogold feat. Switch & Freq Nasty
Where you’ve heard the song before: It was on Grey’s Anatomy. I think that Fox is finally catching on and just watching other shows and finding artists that are tv-friendly.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Courtney and Will’s Slow Hip Hop routine choreographed by Napoleon and Tabitha

I love Alicia Keyes. I love slow hip hop. I may be in the minority here, but I was not crazy about this routine. It had some nice moments: when Courtney was looking at the pictures and Will was replicating her movement behind her and when they were both kneeling and Will brought her in to him. But overall, I was less than thrilled with it. Nice song and concept though.

Song title: Like You’ll Never See Me Again
Artist/Band: Alicia Keyes
Where you’ve heard the song before: If you’re a soap fan, you’ll know it was featured on All My Children. I do not watch that show. Surprising. I know.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Chelsie’s Solo

For as much crap as I give the PCD, I love Danity Kane. I know. Ha. It doesn’t make sense. I wonder if Chelsie’s birthday was Monday or tonight. I ask stupid questions.

Song title: Damaged
Artist/Band: Danity Kane
Where you’ve heard the song before: On the Top 9 at 9. Or the Hot 8 at 8.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Katee and Twitch’s Broadway routine choreographed by Tyce

When they said the song sped up, they weren’t lying. Tempo change much? I didn’t love it. Didn’t hate it either. It was fun. The song obviously fit perfectly with the choreo.

Song title: Sweet Georgia Brown
Artist/Band: Bubbling Brown Sugar
Where you’ve heard the song before: Check out the long history of this song over at Wikipedia
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Joshua’s Solo

The last 2-eight counts of his solo were banoodles.

Song title: Shawty Get Loose
Artist/Band: Lil’ Mama feat. T-Pain & Chris Brown
Where you’ve heard the song before: NapTab choreographed their Vegas week routine to this song.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Courtney’s Solo

Her solos are definitely more controlled now. Even though I hate how she preps for her pirouettes. I thought her energy matched the music.

Song title: Where I Stood
Artist/Band: Missy Higgins
Where you’ve heard the song before: You’ve heard it on One Tree Hill. A certain Leyton scene if I remember correctly. And during Devin Oshiro’s audition. After they played the wrong music.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Twitch’s Solo

The way Twitch covers the stage is craziness. I don’t really enjoy watching him dance too many different styles, but I could watch this solo from him every day. The song just gave him crazy energy.

Song title: Go To Work
Artist/Band: Kay L
Where you’ve heard the song before: I really like this song. But I’ve never heard it before.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Comfort and Mark’s Foxtrot choreographed by Jean-Marc & France

I’m no ballroom expert, but I definitely didn’t hate this as much as the judges did. Also, Brian Setzer has been making quite the appearance on SYTYCD. Now he just has to make his songs more readily available for downloading.

Song title: Lady Luck
Artist/Band: The Brian Setzer Orchestra
Where you’ve heard the song before: You know the song
Where you can listen to the whole song:

So I couldn't find Brian Setzer's version of this song. Slacker. All around.


Chelsie and Joshua’s Disco choreographed by Doriana Sanchez

Who doesn’t love some Gloria Estefan once in awhile? This was the first disco routine that I didn’t end up hating. Maybe it was the song? Maybe it was Chelsie and Joshua?

Song title: Everlasting Love
Artist/Band: Gloria Estefan
Where you’ve heard the song before: I know you listen to this everyday. No shame in it.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Top 8 Performance Show Music Playlist

SYTYCD Top 8 Performance Show Music


blog comments powered by Disqus