Monday, November 26, 2007

Off Topic - Soul Music

I've only gone off-topic a few times here on the blog. I covered the Paul Potts story, and the Cebu Jailhouse Rockers. If you see a thread of continuity there, you're more observant than I. This is for anyone who misses real soul music in the tradition of Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, and Al Green. Thanks to a reader in the UK (who wishes to remain anonymous), I recently discovered Lemar Obika, simply known as Lemar. British and European readers are probably saying to themselves "well, yeah", but Lemar is pretty much unknown in the States. He reminds me of what Meshell Ndegeocello meant when she wrote I'm Digging You Like An Old Soul Record.




Lemar's Myspace page.
Lemar's official site.

More after the jump, including a brief appearance by a certain 7 foot tall TV host with white teeth and a French accent.

CLICK TO CONTINUE READING

Someone Should Tell You


Lemar visits Fame Academy, a British show hosted by Cat Deeley. She looks fabulous in her brief intro. Oh yeah, Lemar sings Let's Stay Together, though there's a much better version of him singing that song here.