Thursday, June 19, 2008

Natalie's Top 18 Music


I’m going to try something a little different this week. A little more music recap and how it affected the dance. A little less where you’ve heard it before and what else you might like. Let me know if you like it. Hate it. Want me to stop talking all together.

Overall the show was, as everyone else has been saying, a little bit skewed in the judging. But I’m not here to talk about that, I’m here to talk about the music.

First up…

Chelsea & Thayne’s Jazz routine choreographed by Mandy Moore

For this one, I think the music may have overpowered them both. The bass was strong in the song and the choreography had the potential to hit certain beats but neither of them really used it to their advantage. The parts of the song with just the strings in it was great. I think that they used those portions well. But once the beat picked up again, neither of them danced it strong enough. For me.

Song title: Untouched
Artist/Band: The Veronicas
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Chelsie & Mark’s Argentine Tango choreographed by Alex Da Silva

I loved this one. The music was wonderful and I was especially a fan of the part right before the music changed and got a stronger back beat. Wonderful choreography and great execution. I will say that I could have done with the random phrases in the background. Distracting much? Other than that, loved the song paired with the dance.

Song title: Mi Confesion
Artist/Band: Gotan Project
Where you can listen to the whole song:



MORE AFTER THE JUMP...
Jessica & Will’s Hip Hop routine choreographed by Cecily and Olisa

Just when you thought you could get away from the Pussycat Dolls. No dice. Will’s movement “fit” better with the song and choreography. She was very “up” and the song required her to be a little bit more grounded. At least that’s how I felt. Not too much to say about this one.

Song title: Whatever U Like
Artist/Band: Nicole Scherzinger
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Kourtni and Matt’s Foxtrot choreographed by Jean-Marc Genereux

I really liked this song for the Foxtrot. I think it started out well and then went downhill from there. I really liked how Jean-Marc used some lyrics literally. Like when Kourtni fell and Matt caught her during the word “down”. It’s the little things with me. Once the choreography started getting a bit more intricate, Kourtni and Matt “lost” the song a bit. It gave them the right mood though. Old Hollywood elegance, as Mia said.

Song title: A Foggy Day (in London Town)
Artist/Band: Michael Buble
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Courtney and Gev's Contemporary routine choreographed by Mandy Moore


Mandy Moore is a genius, first off. She also took the lyrics and used them literally. In the beginning from Courtney sitting on Gev’s knees and melting into the ground and then ending up in front of each other to match the words. Loved it. I also liked how Mandy used the music when Gev outlined her face with his hands and Courtney pulsed forward. Even though I wasn’t a fan overall, I liked some of the little nuances paired with the song.

Song title: Lost
Artist/Band: Anouk
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Katee and Joshua’s Broadway routine choreographed by Tyce Diorio

I actually think these two outperformed the song. Their energy was way above the song which is uncommon for Broadway on this show. The music normally tells the story for this type of dance. Not much else to say. I loved all of it.

Song title: All for the Best
Artist/Band: Godspell (2001 Revival Broadway Cast)
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Susie and Marquis’s Salsa choreographed by Alex Da Silva

Total opposite of the last routine. The song schooled these two. I feel like they were fighting the whole time to keep up with the horns and strong beat. I just wasn’t a fan of how they danced with the music. Which is strange because Susie danced to this song for her audition.

Song title: Aguanile
Artist/Band: Willie Colon & Hector Lavoe
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Kherington and Twitch’s Viennese Waltz choreographed by Jean-Marc

You want emotion? Dance to a Celine Dion song. The song and the backstory and the choreography worked seamlessly together.

Song title: A New Day Has Come
Artist/Band: Celine Dion
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Comfort and Chris’s Krump routine choreographed by Lil C

Lil C’s choreography is always “hard hitting” as the judges like to point out. I was not crazy about it. The way they danced with the song was off for some reason. I’m not sure what else to say.

Song title: Come and Get Me
Artist/Band: Timbaland feat. 50 Cent and Tony Yayo
Where you can listen to the whole song:




There you have it, your first “music recap”. Leave your thoughts.

blog comments powered by Disqus