Friday, June 20, 2008

Natalie's Top 18 Results Show Music Recap


Here’s your music recap for the Top 18 Results show. Overall some different song choices and then there were those songs that SYTYCD can’t get enough of. Also, different montage songs for the week. I’m wondering if they’re going to change them for every contestant or if they’re going to test a few out and see which one fits best. We’ll find out.

Onto the music…

Shane Spark’s Top 18 routine

In true Shane form, this routine was what I like to call sick nasty. He choreographed to beats and accents that you wouldn’t have noticed without that routine. I’m not a huge fan of this song, but he paused it for a few seconds, added a bullet sound effect and paired it with crazy choreo and he has me hooked.

Song title: Elevator
Artist/Band: Flo Rida feat. Timbaland
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s on the radio. It’s his other song. The one that’s not about apple bottom jeans and boots with the fur.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Chelsea Traille’s solo

The song had a really strong bass line. Chelsea chose to dance it a bit more fluid than I thought suited the song, except for the part in the beginning where she sort of contracted. That was the only part of her solo that really hit any kind of beat. Although the more I watch it, the more I almost like how the vocalist and her choreography offset the strong beat.

Song title: Time is Now
Artist/Band: Moloko
Where you’ve heard the song before: Wikipedia is telling me that the Jabbawockeez danced to a remix of this song for the finale. Oh and Roison Murphy is one of the vocalists. She sings Ramalama bang bang.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



More after the jump...
Thayne’s solo

Another song you’ve never heard on this show before. He danced it well. Didn’t use the song in any particular way. Gavin has a new album. I hope they find songs from there that they can use from now on.

Song title: Belief
Artist/Band: Gavin DeGraw
Where you’ve heard the song before: Travis Wall did his Top 10 solo to the stripped version of this song.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Susie’s solo

I don’t even know what to say about this one. So I won’t.

Song title: The Anthem
Artist/Band: Pitbull feat. Lil John
Where you’ve heard the song before: Go to Wikipedia and you can find some interesting facts about the song.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Marquis’s solo

This show is about more than just tricks. In fact, last season, the guy who was all about tricks, at first, finished 3rd overall. Because they gave him a chance to grow and become more than just jumps and turns. Having said that, his solo was amazing and more than what Nigel made it out to be. [\end rant]. Even if I was a little put off that he used a song that I could do without hearing for a very long time, I think that he was the most dynamic out of all of them. Dancing almost above the song.

Song title: Stop and Stare
Artist/Band: OneRepublic
Where you’ve heard the song before: You’ve never heard this song before. Ever. Especially on this show. I mean, they have a whole album. Pick a different song.
Where you can listen to the whole song:





Comfort’s solo

I’m glad we finally got to see her do something that she choreographed. She used every part of her song. She even used the “So You Think You Can Dance” at the very end. And it wasn’t an afterthought. I feel like she actually planned it. I’m a fan.

Song title: Planet Rock
Artist/Band: Afrika Bambaataa
Where you’ve heard the song before: The song came out in ’82, which means it’s older than some of you. But you may recognize it from the video game NBA 2K7. Or not. More info over at Wikipedia.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Chris’s solo

I love John Legend. I love Chris for using him for his solo. I wasn’t in love with his choreography, but I think that he danced some parts well with the song.

Song title: Again
Artist/Band: John Legend
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s on his album Once Again. You may have heard it there.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Flo Rida’s performance

Song title: In the Ayer
Artist/Band: Flo Rida
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s fairly new, so like last week’s performance, I’m sure this will make the rounds on the radio very soon.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




Girls Goodbye Montage

I’m a bit confused about the montage songs. Are they changing them every week? It looks like they might. Kate Voegele last week. Idina this week. I think they may be raiding my iPod, since all of these artists make the rotation while I’m bored at work. I have to say, as much as I love Idina, I liked last week’s song better.

Song title: Brave
Artist/Band: Idina Menzel
Where you’ve heard the song before: Unless you’re an Idina fan, you’ve probably never heard this song. But you may recognize her name from Wicked. If you haven’t heard of her or anything she’s done, check that soundtrack out.
Where you can listen to the whole song:





Guy’s Goodbye Montage

Again, great song. Not sure how I feel about changing the song each week. I do get bored easily, so maybe changing this up will offset the fact that we will probably have to listen to Stop and Stare 23 times more this season.

Song title: Wonderful World
Artist/Band: James Morrison
Where you’ve heard the song before: I’m sure you’ve heard this song. It was released in 2006. Listen to his album, Undiscovered.
Where you can listen to the whole song:




That’s all for now. I’ll be back next week!

blog comments powered by Disqus